Thursday, February 19, 2009

Television Trainers

Last night as I sat down to watch Catalyst( ABC 8pm good show), which had a special segment on horse behaviour, I became all excited with the anticipation of a good laugh: they did not let me down!

Scientific studies enthrall me, properly designed and run tests to understand animal behaviour are invaluable tools to help us learn how to train. The background study of Andrew McLean into horse cognition and behaviour is great, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it thoroughly. It was researched, studied and tested over years of learning and watching and you can really see he loves it - the knowledge and the proof.

What made me giggle the most is this statement:
Dr Andrew McLean:
"You really can't even afford to be one second late. It's got to be that much on time because there really isn't that computing ability, that ability to reflect back into what's happened, "
followed shortly after by Warrick's, Andrew's son, reaction ( at Equitana last year in "The way of the Horse" competition) to his colt's rear up and strike out. Warrick avoided a front hoof, and then let the horse drop to the ground and THEN yanked it one in the head with the halter and lead. On time laddio?? Me thinketh not. You just reefed your colts head for standing on the ground.
Now I am not saying we haven't all done this before, no one is perfect. When you are showcasing your abilities, and are speaking about an ideal, with scientific background, which you base your entire learning curve for a horse on - don't let the television public see you doing exactly what you preach NOT to do. The entire thing looked to be a great excercise in public relations and advertising. Although I am sure there are more than a few people who had a giggle at the poor colt getting his head yanked on at the wrong time.

On a bit of a different note, that colt ( branded over 5) would be what - 3yo ( at the time of Equitana)? Why on earth are you jumping it after let me see 3 hours of "training". Too young to be jumping, and not well muscled enough to be putting that much pressure on it's joints with no muscle tone to back it up for carrying the weight of a rider as well as the downforce coming off a jump. Think people before putting that stuff on TV - there are VERY susceptible minds out there that worship what trainers, especially those on the telly, say and do and follow them blindly.

If you'd like to watch the segment:
Catalyst: Equitana - ABC TV Science

1 comment:

  1. I thought EXACTLY the same as you after watching the program, and after I stopped peeing my pants laughing I looked at the serious side and just shook my head. How about the bit about the horses NOT remembering long term like goldfish - Please!!

    ReplyDelete